Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Perspectives


There are times when I am so overwhelmed by life that I need to escape- escape my own head, escape the mundane , the sheer fact of life even. Or life as we seem to have made it-one devoid of magic and beauty. In this day and age of technology, there is one place I go to that gives me a sense of what is true-the NASA website. This is not an advertisement for them. But I guarantee you that a visit to their picture gallery puts one right in a way nothing can. The images of the stars and planets and supernovas and comets and galaxies remind me that while I struggle and fight and rave , there goes on around me an entire universe in silence working away unquestioning, completely unconcerned with our problems. They seem to have learned a truth that we are yet to fathom - that nothing matters really, not in the end. We came from the stars and somewhere deep in our ageless souls, we know these truths. We know the truth of transience. We know that all we are today will not be tomorrow . We know that what is in this hour, will not be in the next. That to me is a comforting notion...

No comments:

Post a Comment