Sunday, May 13, 2012

Of miserable Sunday evenings and how to put them right

So, today is one of those miserable Sunday afternoons after a glorious weekend.The gloomy ,vaguely wet weather just seems to make a bad situation worse. It has partly to do with coming off of the high of hosting a mad tea party for a bunch of deliciously mad people it seems. But every Sunday evening has begun to feel a bit awful lately. I hate that back to school feeling. Maybe it's a sign that I need to move on. In any case, while working on that, I have realized there are some things that do make me feel a lot better. A list of movies and books.

Today , for example, it's that lovely cozy movie 'Two Weeks Notice' with the lovely Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant. And here's a list of all those other movies that are guaranteed to calm me down (romantic fool alert!!) . 'You've Got Mail' , 'Must Love Dogs', 'Once', 'Father of the Bride' (both parts) , 'Music and Lyrics' , 'About a Boy' , the BBC production of 'Persuasion', 'It's Complicated', any of the 'Thin Man' series, ' The Women' (the old B&W one) , 'Clueless', 'Sense and Sensibility'. A brief list this one is. I'll be here all night if I had to list them all out I think.

I know I know. I'm an old romantic fool. But hey ho as a friend of mine says.

Then there are the books. I'm one of those weirdos who reads several books several times - either in whole or in part. I've read two of Anna Quindlen's books multiple times cover to cover. I have read Anne Bronte's 'The Tenant of Wildfell Hall' more times than I can count. I don't know what it is with some books. Then there's  Anna Karenina. Believe it or not I read that one cover to cover 7 times. I've read Levin's part more times than that. There are others , too numerous to count.

There's something about these books and movies, that instantly sucks me into another world that puts mine right at least briefly. Just talking about it makes me feel wonderful.Thank god for them I say. Then there are all those new ones that are showing me new worlds. My tea party produced a whole new crop and I can't wait to dive in. 



1 comment:

  1. hehe..i watch criminal minds to feel better about my world. :) happy birthday, girl!

    ReplyDelete