Friday, May 11, 2012

Matters of the heart

Cardiologists , I discover, are the gods of the medical universe. ( Perhaps that's true of the neurologists as well but I still think it's the cardiologists). These past few months I've had the opportunity ( misfortune, some would say) to observe them at rather close quarters.

In all the visits to the department this is what I've observed. There's a certain swagger to the way that even the nerdiest of them walk. A swagger and a certain humility too- it's an odd combination. I figure it may have something to do with the job itself. I mean, imagine holding a live , beating warm heart in one's hands. Is there anything that gets one closer to the actual essence of life? That brief instance must feel like - what exactly? A meditation on one's place in the greatest mystery of all?

Maybe I'm over thinking it and none of them has really internalized what it feels like- what it means to be in that position.

And what about mine? My doctor, looks like , believe it or not, almost exactly like Dylan Thomas. The resemblance is quite uncanny. Not sure if he's as poetic though. But definitely filled with a stern comforting fatherly (almost) concern and a barely hidden impish sense of humor.  All of which is cause for confidence. After all, in matters of the heart one must trust oneself only to the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment