Monday, October 31, 2011

Khor Rori

There is a place in the south of Oman , about an hour's drive away from the city of Salalah. The place is called Khor Rori. It is an isolated stretch of sand and sea and cliffs that seems to go on for miles in either direction. In the midst of this immensity , there lie the ruins of structures from long ago of an old port town and some others that at least at that time hadn't been identified. Khor Rori was also an important point on the fabled Frankincense Trail that stretched from the Dhofar region to Jerusalem. I first went there in the winter of 2004. Having been brought up in the Sultanate , I still find it hard to believe that it took me more than 25 years to go explore one of the most beautiful regions in the country.

Phrases such as 'virgin beaches' are often thrown around carelessly. I doubt though anyone would understand what that truly means until one sees the beaches at Khor Rori. The waters of the sea in their shades of azure and cerulean and green takes one's breath away. Every legend and myth and fairy story you ever heard try to find space in your head. As cliches jostle around and as exclamations of 'ohhh!' and 'wow!' and 'oh my god!' peter out,you are left with perfect silence.

Silence is the only prayer acceptable in the end in this place. Even a herd of camels that tip toed down to the water was quiet.History and time and stories stop mattering. Maybe some people would call it good vibrations and maybe that is what I felt that winter. All I can say for certain is that I have never felt like that again- that feeling of privilege to be in a place that felt so preternaturally sacred. The sugary sand served up for my  pleasure to accompany that pristine water and the purest of cerulean winter skies felt like it had been put there just for me. That moment in time was mine alone when everything came together- in perfect isolation.

Found this photo online


Here's a site I found that has excellent photographs of the area and the more historic details. I particularly love the photographs of Oman taken by this gentlemen - Eric Lafforgue and his photograph of Khor Rori is simply stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment